Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
When can you have too many cookies? (especially when they're this good)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup icing sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cocoa
- 3⁄4 cup butter, room temperature
- 10 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup firmly-packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons whipping cream (you can use milk or evaporated milk in a pinch)
- 3 cups chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips
- For crust: Preheat oven to 375F (190C).
- Butter 9 x 13 inch pyrex baking dish.
- Sift flour, sugar and cocoa together into a large bowl.
- Add butter and cut into flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal.
- Pat into bottom of prepared pan.
- Bake pastry until edges begin to colour slightly, about 20 minutes.
- Maintain oven temperature.
- For topping: Melt butter in saucepan over low heat.
- Add honey, brown sugar and vanilla.
- Stir until sugar dissolves.
- Cool slightly.
- Beat egg in a small bowl to blend.
- Beat in whipping cream.
- Stir into butter mixture.
- Mix in walnuts.
- Spread topping over crust.
- Bake 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle chocolate over topping.
- Continue baking until topping bubbles and is golden-brown around edges, about 15 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- Cut into 2 inch squares.
Evelyn, this was a super bar! I loved the cocoa/buttery crust and the topping is so rich. To me a little went a long way! Thanks for a recipe where I almost made myself sick by eating way too much!!!