Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
From Taste of Home magazine October/November 2005.
- 2 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1⁄4 cup butter, divided
- 3⁄4 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 (1 ounce) semi-sweet chocolate baking squares, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Line an 8 inch square pan with foil.
- Grease with 1 teaspoon butter; set aside.
- Butter the sides of a heavy saucepan with 1 teaspoon butter.
- Add the corn syrup, water, sugar, chocolate, salt and remaining butter.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until smooth and blended, about 6 minutes.
- Gradually stir in cream.
- Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil.
- Cook and stir until a candy thermometer reads 245 degrees (firm -ball stage), about 25 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla and walnuts.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Cool; cut into squares.
- Store in a covered container in the refrigerator.
- Remove from refrigerator 1 hour before serving.