Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
Found this gem on a package of walnuts. It's become a favourite here at our house. I cut them into bite size pieces just so I can have a few to savour and not feel any pangs of guilt.
- 2 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate morsels
- 1 1⁄2 cups walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 1 cup caramel ice cream topping
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine 2 Cups flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda and salt Add butter, stir until moistened.
- Reserve 1 Cup of crumb mixture for topping.
- Press remaining mixture into the bottom of an ungreased 13 x 9 baking pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly brown.
- Remove pan from oven, sprinkle with chocolate morsels and walnuts.
- In a small bowl combine remaining 1/3 Cup flour and caramel topping.
- Drizzle over crust.
- Sprinkle evenly with reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake for 20- 25 minutes or until lightly brown.
- Cool in pan.
- Cut into bars.
This is an excellent bar recipe. I followed the directions exactly as written. The only trouble I had was that after they were cut, the bottom crust didn't always stay "attached". Perhaps I baked the crust too long or should have "pressed" the chocolate chips and nuts into the crust. Despite that, they turned out to be a tasty little treat that I will make again. Thanks for a great recipe!!!!
I have also been making this recipe for years, found it in the newspaper. It is to die for! We end up grabbing one every time we walk into the kitchen, even at breakfast! (It's never too early for chocolate!) You have to try this recipe, you won't regret it! Great for parties or potlucks, that way you don't end up eating it all yourself!