Prep 25 mins
Cook 14 mins
- 6 ounces French haricots vert or 6 ounces wax beans, stems trimmed,tips on
- 2 slices best quality naturally-smoked bacon
- 2 tablespoons best quality walnut oil
- sea salt
- fresh ground pepper
- Bring a pot of water to a rapid boil (use about 2 tablespoons of salt per 2 quarts water).
- Add beans.
- Cook until tender (no heavy crunch!), about 3-6 minutes depending on kind of beans using.
- Quickly drain and shock beans under cold water.
- Drain and dry.
- Cut each slice of bacon in half (across short dimension).
- Place between 2 sheets of wax or plastic wrap and pound gently with a heavy pan to make a very thin piece.
- Cut this piece in half again.
- When finished, there will be 8 pieces.
- If the bacon you are using falls apart, try again with a piece that has less fat (it takes patience).
- Divide beans into 8 bundles.
- Take a piece of bacon and place beans at end; roll up tightly so you have a little turban with bacon in a wrapped layer.
- The tighter you can roll, the better the presentation.
- When your main course is ready, warm the walnut oil in a sauté pan over medium-low heat.
- Cook bundles slowly until bacon is slightly crisp.
- Be careful not to overcook and sauté beans.