Nutty, slightly sweet in flavor, this rice pilaf dish beautifully complements any Indian meal. Translated from "Cocina Tradicional India" by Rafi Fernandez.
- 1 1⁄4 cups basmati rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup nuts (pistachios, cashews, slivered almonds)
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro (to garnish)
- Wash rice in a sieve under cold running water until water runs mostly clear.
- Place rice in a bowl with fresh cold water, and let sit 30 minutes.
- Drain well.
- Heat oil in a larger sauté pan, and lightly sauté the onion and garlic until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the rice, cumin seeds, coriander, cardamom and bay leaf.
- Toss rice to coat well with the seasonings, and lightly sauté 2 minutes.
- Add broth, and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low, and cook 10 minutes.
- (Do not lift lid.) Remove from heat and allow to sit 5 minutes before lifting lid.
- Add nuts and toss to combine.
- Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro.
- For Vegetarians use the vegetable broth.
Very nutty and exoticly spicy, this was a real treat! Easy to make and cooks perfectly, producing nice fluffy rice. Thanks for a great recipe!
A nice flavor packed change of pace from plain rice. I made the recipe exactly as printed and it came out perfectly. I added toasted hazelnuts at the end. We had this as a side dish with Canary Island Style Pollo en Adobo#44219. Although they are from separate continents, the pair went well together.
Although I did not use the spice blend recommended, I wanted to leave a review. I did not believe that you could cook this rice in ten minutes - but I did and the results were perfect. Tender, fluffy rice. The water to rice ratio was perfect. I used garlic and onion and they flavored it nicely. I was having a strongly seasoned meat so I wanted the fragrant rice, but no spice competition. Superb recipe. Next time, I'll add the spices.