Recipe by Engrossed
This was inspired by RSC#10 ingredients. Making a drink seemed liked the hardest category so I took the challenge. I found another recipe that used barley in a drink and went from there. I also wanted to enter a Vegan recipe and succeeded with this. It was an adventure! Enjoy this healthy earthy delight.
Top Review by Ms*Bindy
This was interesting. I was not expecting the turmeric color of this drink, but I guess that is what the carrots did. This was fun for a novelty, but can't really say that I will make it again. I can say I enjoyed it much more hot than cold, and I kept the Splenda to a minimum. Any more, and I think it would have been too sweet. I applaud your efforts at making a drink out the RSC ingredients.
- 1⁄4 cup pearl barley
- cold water, to cover
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 cup fresh baby carrots
- 1 -2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg, fresh grated if possible
- 1 tablespoon Splenda brown sugar blend, more to taste
- 1 -2 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 -2 teaspoon rum extract
- ground cinnamon or nutmeg, to top
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse pearl barley and cover with cold water in a medium pot.
- Bring to a boil and drain.
- Pour 4 cups of fresh water into the pot with the barley along with the cinnamon sticks and nutmeg.
- In a blender puree 1 cup water, pecans, carrots and lemon zest.
- Add puree to pot.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer over very low heat for 45 minutes.
- Strain through a fine mesh sieve and or cheesecloth. Press out all of the liquid. You may need to strain it twice.
- Stir in Splenda and extract to taste.
- Enjoy hot or cold.
- Top with ground cinnamon or nutmeg.