1/1 Photo of Nutty Barley Brew
This was inspired by RSC#10 ingredients. Making a drink seemed liked the hardest category so I took the challenge. I found another recipe that used barley in a drink and went from there. I also wanted to enter a Vegan recipe and succeeded with this. It was an adventure! Enjoy this healthy earthy delight.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup pearl barley
- cold water, to cover
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 cup fresh baby carrots
- 1 -2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg, fresh grated if possible
- 1 tablespoon Splenda brown sugar blend, more to taste
- 1 -2 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 -2 teaspoon rum extract
- ground cinnamon or nutmeg, to top
- 1Rinse pearl barley and cover with cold water in a medium pot.
- 2Bring to a boil and drain.
- 3Pour 4 cups of fresh water into the pot with the barley along with the cinnamon sticks and nutmeg.
- 4In a blender puree 1 cup water, pecans, carrots and lemon zest.
- 5Add puree to pot.
- 6Bring to a boil and then simmer over very low heat for 45 minutes.
- 7Strain through a fine mesh sieve and or cheesecloth. Press out all of the liquid. You may need to strain it twice.
- 8Stir in Splenda and extract to taste.
- 9Enjoy hot or cold.
- 10Top with ground cinnamon or nutmeg.
Browse Our Top Beverages Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Nutty Barley Brew
Serving Size: 1 (747 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 524.6
- Calories from Fat 360
- Total Fat 40.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 71.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.3 g
- Sugars 9.0 g
- Protein 7.9 g