Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Make and share this Nutty Barley Bake recipe from Food.com.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds or 1⁄2 cup chopped almonds
- 1⁄4 cup margarine or 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth
- In a skillet, over medium heat, saute the barley, onion and almonds in the butter until lightly browned.
- Transfer to a 2 quart baking dish, I used a glass dish.
- Add the parsley, pepper and salt, stir to mix.
- Add the broth, stir to mix.
- Bake in the oven at 350 for 1 hour and 15 minutes, until the barley is tender and the liquid is absorbed.
Everyone loves this from my husband to my grandmother. We usually sub 2tsp of canola oil for the margarine/butter (heart health reasons), and it still comes out tasting like heaven. Works equally well with dried or fresh parsley, and we've come to prefer sliced almonds with the skin on for a bit of extra texture/fibre. We'll make it again and agan. Thanks for posting :)
This recipe is so easy to make and is so wonderfully tasting! I left the almonds in larger pieces so it gave the dish more of a nutty flavor and texture. The only substitue I made was using oil instead of butter and chicken broth instead of beef. I would recommend this to anyone who is looking for a quick, healthy recipe! Discuss the taste, how difficult it was to make, any adaptations you made or menu suggestions. If you did not like it, please explain why or provide constructive criticism.
Very good! I tried it with sunflower seeds, too, and it was just as good as with almonds.