Recipe by Leta
Make this a day ahead, as it needs to stand 24 hours...wonderful traditional baklava.
Top Review by Jangomango
This is wonderful. I was attracted to the variation - coconut and macadamias. It's a perky change to the usual walnut baklavas. Directions - clear and well written. I made two, one following the recipe exactly, and one subbing pistachios for macs, and rosewater for allspice. Both turned out very well, so it's easy to vary according to taste as long as the proportions stay the same. The only other sub was with the sugar/honey mixture. I was heavier on the honey than sugar simply because we love the taste of the honey. Thanks - I will be trying more of your recipes.
- 1 (17 1/4 ounce) packagefrozen phyllo pastry, thawed
- 1 1⁄4 cups butter, melted
- 1 1⁄4 cups flaked coconut, lightly toasted
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped macadamia nuts, toasted
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup honey
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine coconut, macadamia nuts, pecans, brown sugar, and allspice; stir well.
- Set aside.
- Butter a 13X9 baking pan.
- Cut phyllo in half, crosswise, and cut each half to fit the pan.
- Discard trimmings.
- Cover phyllo with a slightly damp towel.
- Layer 10 sheets of phyllo in pan, brushing each sheet with melted butter.
- Sprinkle one-third of nut mixture over phyllo in pan.
- Top with 10 sheets of phyllo, brushing each sheet with melted butter.
- Repeat procedure twice with remaining nut mixture, phyllo, and butter, ending with the buttered phyllo.
- Cut into diamond shapes, using a sharp knife.
- (Do not cut through bottom layer).
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until top is browned.
- Let cool completely.
- Combine 1 cup sugar, water, and honey in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat; drizzle syrup over baklava.
- Cover and let stand at room temperature 24 hours.
- *Wheneverworking with phyllo dough, be sure to keep it covered with a damp towel or plastic wrap to prevent it drying out.
- Only take out one sheet at a time.