Prep 0 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 12 ounces dried apricots
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened (or margarine)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 ounces coconut flakes
- 1⁄2 cup pecans or 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Cover apricots with water, and bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes or until tender.
- Drain, reserving 1/4 cup liquid.
- Coarsely chop apricots, and set aside. Combine reserved apricot liquid and 3/4 cup sugar in a saucepan; simmer 5 minutes.
- Stir in chopped apricots.
- Cream butter; gradually add 1 cup sugar, beating at medium speed of an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Combine flour, baking soda, and salt; add floured mixture to creamed mixture, mixing well (mixture will be crumbly). Stir in coconut and pecans.
- Pat about three-fourths of coconut mixture into and ungreased 13x9-inch pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes.
- Spread apricot mixture evenly over crust, spreading to within 1/4 inch from edge of pan.
- Sprinkle with remaining coconut mixture. Bake an additional 30 minutes.
- Let cool in pan; chill.
- Cut into bars.
- Store in refrigerator.