Recipe by HeidiSue
A friend made this delicious cake and I had to have the recipe. I have not made it yet, but plan to in the very near future! It's from Cooking Light 1999...though I'm not sure what is "light" about it. Beware...it's rich and decadent. I guessed on the time to prepare...so if you find it to be very different please let me know and I will update!
Top Review by TXLIFTR
I made this for my family's Thanksgiving dinner desert. Gotta say it went over really well. Now, a few "technical" details. The instructions call for salt but there is none listed in the ingredients list. I added a pinch just to bring out the spices a little better and it was good. I also added some dried cranberries that I chopped...about a half cup. I also candied some chopped pecans and put them on top of the whole thing. I agree with the submitter...there really isn't anything "light" about it - but with a taste this good who cares?
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups diced granny smith apples (peeling is optional)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts or 1⁄2 cup pecans, toasted
- 1⁄3 cup golden raisin (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup dark rum or 1⁄4 cup apple juice
- 1 (12 1/4 ounce) bottlesmucker's fat-free butterscotch ice cream topping (oh...there's the ONLY light ingredient ( )
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- To prepare cake, beat sugar, oil and eggs at medium speed until well blended.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, level with a knife, pour into a small bowl.
- Add cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nutmeg to flour and combine.
- Add flour mixture to sugar mixture, beating just until blended.
- Fold in apple and walnuts.
- Pour batter into a 13x9 greased baking pan.
- Bake at 350 for 55 minutes or until a wooden toothpick in the center comes out clean.
- Run knife around outside edges and cool.
- To prepare sauce, combine raisins (if using) and rum in a microwave safe bowl; let stand 5 minutes.
- Stir in butterscotch topping and microwave on high for 45 seconds or until hot.
- Serve cake with ice cream and pour sauce over cake.
- Note: cake will keep for several days in an airtight container, but the crunchy top will soften.