Recipe by "Food:The Way To Anyone's Heart"
This is a great alternative to apple pie. Serve warm with whipped cream or ala mode with your favorite ice cream.
- 5 cups thinly sliced apples, cored and peeled
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1 dash salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Toss apples with lemon juice and water in a shallow 2-quart baking dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar, nutmeg, and salt; mix to blend throughly.
- Cut in butter or margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; mix in walnuts.
- Crumble over apples to cover completely.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until top is lightly browned.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.