Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a great finger food for any gathering, especially with the combination of cranberry & ginger! It comes from the fall 2004 issue of the Kraft 'food&family' magazine. The original recipe calls for Planters Cocktail Peanuts.
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 cups shredded wheat cereal, spoon size
- 1 cup peanuts
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place butter & sugar in large microwavable bowl, & microwave on high 1-2 minutes or until butter is completely melted when stirred.
- Add ginger & mix well.
- Add cereal & toss gently.
- In a single layer, spread the cereal mixture in a greased 15"x10" baking dish.
- Bake 15 minutes, then remove from oven.
- Stir in peanuts & return to oven to bake an additional 10 minutes.
- Cool completely before adding cranberries. Toss gently.
Great tasty munch mix! Loved the ginger and as others have suggested I may add some chopped candied ginger next time as well. The fruit and nuts were good in this but honestly I could just eat the coated cereal by itself ;) Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Mmm, Syd, this is indeed a very tasty munchy mix. We all loved it!
I used no sugar added rye pillows for the cereal cause thats what I had on hand and threw in some almonds, too. I really liked the ginger in this, but couldnt resist adding a bit of cinnamon as well. Yummy!
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing your recipe here with us!
This was more tasty than I expected! We had a bunch of plain shredded wheat that DH declared "boring" ~ this was the perfect way to liven it up! DH & my two kids ate almost the entire batch in one day! (and one is a very picky eater--he picked out the cranberries and loved the rest). I'll def. be making this again!