Recipe by V'nut-Beyond Redemption
Please remember that these mooncake need to made with a mooncake mold. Nuts & Dried Fruit Mooncake - Traditional Taiwan Style Pastry Crust
- 1 pastry crust
- 100 g bread flour
- 100 g cake flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 100 ml sugar water (sugar + water)
- 60 ml cooking oil
(A) Red Bean Filling
- 450 g red bean paste
(B) Dried Fruit & Nuts Filling:
- 100 g black dates, pitted
- 200 ml water
- 2 tablespoons white grape wine
- 2 tablespoons wine
- 2 tablespoons sugar syrup
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon glutinous flour
- 50 g almonds
- 50 g sugar
- 60 g toasted sesame
- 80 g walnuts
- 30 g pine nuts
- 30 g raisins
- 20 g oil
Light Color Pastry Shine Oil
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons cooking wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon milk
Dark Color Pastry Shine Oil
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 sugar syrup, heated (like caramel sort)
Directions See How It's Made
- Fillings: (A) Red Bean Filling 450g red bean paste (B) Dried Fruit & Nuts Filling: 100g pitted black dates 200 cc water 2 Tbsp white grape wine 2 Tbsp wine 2 Tbsp Sugar Syrup* 1 Tbsp flour 1 Tbsp glutinous flour 50g almond 50g sugar 60g toasted sesame 80g walnut 30g pine nuts 30g raisins 20g oil Light Color Pastry Shine Oil 1 egg yolk 2 tsp cooking wine , 1/2 tsp milk Dark Color Pastry Shine Oil 1 egg yolk 2 tsp cooking wine 1 sugar syrup, heated (like caramel sort ) Make filling.
- Cook the dates with the 200 cc water on low heat until all the water is absorbed.
- Add wines, syrup and flours.
- Cook to thicken.
- Remove the dates and mash .
- Cut raisins and other fruit and nuts into thin stripes or little pieces .
- Mix with the mashed dates .
- Shape into dough with hands.
- Let cool.
- Divide into 30 g balls.
- Make Pastry crust. Mix both type of flour and baking powder then sift and place it into a large bowl.
- Dig a hole in the middle of dough .
- Mix the sugar-water and oil and pour it into the hole. Slowly mix well.
- Then knead till the dough no longer sticky to hand and is shiny.
- Don't use too much force to knead.
- Divide dough into 12 portion .
- Each portion should weight 25g.
- On each piece of dough place the filling--either the red bean paste or the dried fruit/nuts filling.
- Sprinkle flour in mooncake mold.
- Place the mooncake into the mold and press into shape. Get rid of the extra flour on the mold.
- Then brush the top with the shine oil.
- Bake at 190C degree for 15 minutes.
- ** For red bean paste mooncake the crust is same as the above one. ** If no mold shape in round with hand Cantonese Style Mooncake ( Red Bean Paste with egg yolk ) Pastry : (A)2C cake flour , 1T milk powder , 2/5C fine sugar , 1/8t baking powder (B ) 1/3C oil , 1/2t salt , 1/3C honey , 1 egg yolk Filling: 900g Red bean paste , 20 Salted Egg Yolks Sieve ingredient (A) on the flour, dig a hole in the middle , add the (B) ingredients.
- Stir them and knead into a very soft dough.
- Cut into 10 portions.
- Divide the red bean paste into 10 portions , wrap 2 egg yolks into each of the portion.(before this the yolk may be dip with wine and bake in oven for 5 minutes). Wrap each of the (2) into each of the (1). Press into the mooncake mold , tip it out of the mold, apply beaten egg on the surface. Bake in oven bake for 20 minutes at 180C degree.