Recipe by Joyce O
A 1940's version of the Chex type party mixes. Originally published by the Spice Island Seasoning Company to introduce their spices. This was a holiday tradition when I was growing up. Great for parties, snacking and gift giving.
- 396.89 g box Corn Chex
- 396.89 g box Rice Chex
- 396.89 g box Wheat Chex
- 425.24 g box Cheerios toasted oat cereal
- 453.59 g bag pretzel sticks
- 4 (1304.07 g) can salted mixed nuts
- 14.79 ml seasoning salt
- 14.79 ml smoke salt
- 4.92 ml marjoram
- 4.92 ml summer savory
- 2.46 ml garlic powder
- 2.46 ml onion powder
- 2.46 ml cayenne pepper
- 453.59 g butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all cereal ingredients together in a large roaster or roasting pan. A Nesco electric roaster works best.
- Mix spices together and toss with cereal ingredients.
- Pour melted butter over cereal and spices. Mix to coat thoroughly.
- Bake at 250 degrees, turning every 15 minutes until cereal is crisp and golden brown. Baking time is usually 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- This recipe makes a large batch of mix. The cereal and spice amounts may be adjusted according to taste.