Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A 1940's version of the Chex type party mixes. Originally published by the Spice Island Seasoning Company to introduce their spices. This was a holiday tradition when I was growing up. Great for parties, snacking and gift giving.
- 1 (14 ounce) box Corn Chex
- 1 (14 ounce) box Rice Chex
- 1 (14 ounce) box Wheat Chex
- 1 (15 ounce) box Cheerios toasted oat cereal
- 1 (16 ounce) bag pretzel sticks
- 4 (11 1/2 ounce) cans salted mixed nuts
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt
- 1 tablespoon smoke salt
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 teaspoon summer savory
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 lb butter, melted
- Mix all cereal ingredients together in a large roaster or roasting pan. A Nesco electric roaster works best.
- Mix spices together and toss with cereal ingredients.
- Pour melted butter over cereal and spices. Mix to coat thoroughly.
- Bake at 250 degrees, turning every 15 minutes until cereal is crisp and golden brown. Baking time is usually 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- This recipe makes a large batch of mix. The cereal and spice amounts may be adjusted according to taste.
I would help my Mom make this evey Holiday but we did not uses Marjoram, Summer savory, & cayenne. We added BEAU MONDE