Inspired by the Sneaky Chef flour blend, I wanted to add more nutriton, so came up with this recipe. I hope you enjoy!
- 1 cup white flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup oat flour (blend oatmeal in the food processor till finely ground)
- 1⁄4 cup barley flour (or millet, rye, buckwheat, or rice or just use 1/2 cup of the oat flour if you can't find or don't h)
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- 1⁄4 cup ground flax seeds
- 1⁄4 cup finely ground cornmeal
- Mix thorougly and keep in a covered container, preferably in the refrigerator.
- Use in place of whole wheat flour in any recipe calling for whole wheat flour.
- Or try substituting for a portion of white flour in your favorite bread, muffin, roll, etc. recipe.
I tried all ingredients listed and the mixture turned out very well for this cornbread recipe: Cornbread. Leftovers are kept in a Gladware container and frozen. Reviewed for Best of 2010.
I'm really glad I stumbled on this recipe! It's a great sub for white flour - I'm going to pick up an extra flour container and keep this made up on hand. I used brown rice flour in the mix, along with the rest of the called for ingredients. Today I used it in a Banana Bread recipe and it worked out perfectly, even adding extra taste and texture (if you're looking for it!) Thanks for sharing this recipe, Sharon! Made for Veggie Swap 30 - January 2011.
was looking for ways to make my breads more nutritious and more interesting... I sprouted, dried and ground wheat berries and buckwheat groats b4 adding to the blend to make it even more so, added vital wheat gluten too because I knew it would be for bread and might benefit the rise ...used it in 2 breads this past week and they were awesome...thank you Sharon!!!