Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 1⁄3 cup unbleached white flour
- 1⁄3 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1⁄4 cup oil or 1⁄4 cup soy margarine
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- On stovetop, add flour to dry saucepan and toast on low heat until you smell that it is heated and toasted (similiar to how you would toast sesame seeds).
- Add nutritional yeast and then add oil, stirring constantly on medium heat.
- Heat until simmering--keep stirin'!
- Gradually add water and soy sauce, stirring all the while.
- Stir until thick and add your favorite spices.
I made this to go with dinner at the commune so the vegetarian folk would have something to eat rather than just chicken gravy. even the meat eaters ended up liking it, though :)
Yum! so easy but delicious. I'm not really sure if I toasted the flour well, but it turned out great. I made it just as described, but may try tinkering with it a little in the future. Thanks!
this is so simple and soooo good. I was known as the best gravy maker amongst my friends before becoming a vegan and they were all worried at what my gravy would taste like at Thanksgiving but they were all so happy with this.