Recipe by senseicheryl
I received an email this morning with a couple of copycat recipes and this was one of them. Sounds interesting - starts with a boxed cake mix.
Top Review by kristennavar
My family and I enjoyed the recipe but it tastes more like coffee cake than a Nutri-Grain bar. I used no-sugar added apple butter for the filling and it was incredibly sweet. I can't imagine using sugar added preserves...it would be way too sweet! (and I'm someone who rarely finds things too sweet) The cake mix really lends it to a sweet flavor on its own so pick your filling with caution. But they are tasty...just not exactly what I was expecting.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 2 1⁄2 cups quick oats
- 12 ounces preserves, your choice of flavor or 12 ounces jam
- 1 tablespoon water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Melt butter.
- Combine cake mix and oats in a large bowl; stir in the melted butter until the mixture is crumbly. Measure half of this mixture (about 3 cups) into a greased 13x9x2-inch pan. Press firmly into pan to cover the bottom.
- Combine preserves and water; spoon over crumb mixture in pan, and spread evenly. Cover with remaining crumb mixture. Pat firmly to make top even.
- Bake for 20 minutes; top should be very light brown. Cool completely before cutting into bars.