Recipe by CoffeeB
I love spice cookies and these fit the bill perfectly.
Top Review by Jadelabyrinth
I got 31 large cookies from this recipe using a #40 cookie scoop. They spread a bit, but not too bad really. I felt like There was not enough nutmeg flavor though. But I grew up on a Christmas cookie that had quite a bit of nutmeg in it. I thought I would try these, and they are ok, but I will stick with my family's recipe.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars.
- Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Mix well.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, nutmeg and salt.
- Add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Shape into 3/4 inch balls, place 2 inches apart on greased baking sheets.
- Flatten with a glass dipped in sugar.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool on wire racks.