Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 10 mins
These cookies are unusually crisp, delicately flavored sugar cookies. From Sunset.
Make and share this Nutmeg Sugar Cookies recipe from Food.com.
- In a large bowl, with a mixer on medium speed, beat 1/2 cup butter, granulated sugar, and powdered sugar until smooth.
- Add oil, egg, and vanilla and beat until well blended.
- In a medium bowl, mix 2 cups flour, baking soda, nutmeg, and salt.
- Stir into butter mixture, then beat until well blended.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and freeze until dough is firm, about 1 hour.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls and place about 2 inches apart on buttered 12- by 15-inch baking sheets.
- Press each cookie with the lightly floured tines of a fork to flatten slightly.
- Bake cookies in a 350° regular or convection oven until edges are lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes; if baking two sheets at once in one oven, switch their positions halfway through baking.
- Let cookies cool on sheets for 5 minutes, then use a wide spatula to transfer to racks to cool completely.
Yeah! Bless you, bless you, bless you! These came out delicate and light. I did 2 dozen and left the rest of the batch in the freezer. The next A.M. I'd found DH had been up in the wee hours. The cookies were gone and there was only enough milk left for breakfast. I've never made good sugar cookies. My rolled cookies are suitable for re-roofing your house. Pie crusts for patching that pothole down the street. Some people have the touch--not me. This first batch I used lemon extract and a tsp dried lemon peel. Next time thumbprints maybe (which I've always found kind of dry), or ... This one's a real keeper, and easy, and so much better than sugar cookies from the bakery.
Made for Zaar Cookbooks Tag. These are very good sugar cookies. Loved the addition of nutmeg and so did DH (nutmeg is a favorite of his). I did have to bake them a little longer, but that's not really an issue. Also I was able to make them gluten free! It's always a plus when a recipe I convert turns out well! Thanks for posting this Bev!
Oh wow! Freezing cold here (in U.K) today - what else to do but bake? So glad I chose this recipe - superb biscuits (oops - cookies!). The only change was to add more nutmeg as we love that spice! Many thanks, Bev!!