Prep 2 hrs
Cook 10 mins
These cookies can be made ahead and stored in the freezer.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups flour
- colored coarse sugar, for decoration
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
- Add the sugar, soda, nutmeg, and salt.
- Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
- Beat in sour cream, egg, and vanilla until combined.
- Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour (dough will be sticky). Divide dough into thirds.
- Cover and chill in the fridge about 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one portion of dough at a time to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Using a floured 3-inch cookie cutter, cut out dough.
- Place cutouts on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle with colored sugar.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven about 10 minutes or until edges of cookies are firm.
- Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool completely.
- TO MAKE AHEAD:.
- Bake cookies as directed and cool completely. Place in the freezer container or bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Before serving, thaw cookies about 15 minutes.