Prep 2 mins
Cook 10 mins
From a 1930s hand written cookbook from Neligh Ne. She had this written down two times so she used it for something important to her. We use vanilla sauce on pound cake in our family. This sauce is wicked good on my spice cake recipe . It will bump up old coffee cake. Mr. picky was licking the pan. The top part of the recipe was how it was written; at the bottom was how I did it.
- Blend cornstarch and sugar.
- Add boiling water, stirring constantly until thick.
- Add lemon juice, butter, nutmeg and salt.
- Serve warm.
- My Method:.
- I just whisked everything, except the butter, together and cooked it.
- When boiling hot, I whisked in the butter and stirred until thickened.
Yummy! Just like what my grandma used to make, except better! I add a sprinkle of cinnamon. The hint of lemon is great :) Thanks for the recipe!
Awesome. I mixed everything together except the butter and lemon juice. I used cold water instead of boiling. I brought the mixture to a boil, took it off the heat, and added the butter and lemon juice. Tastes just like my mom's.