Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This recipe was given to me by my friend, Kelly. She is famous for this cake. She suggests using a tube pan which has a bottom that lifts out which makes it easier to get the cake out of the pan.
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsalted butter
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 5 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a bundt or tube pan.
- Cream butter and sugar in a mixer. Add the nutmeg. Be sure to scrape the sides of the bowl.
- Add one egg at a time amd mix well.
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt in another bowl.
- Alternate adding the flour mixture and the milk until all is incorporated. (Do not over mix or you risk a tough cake.).
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour 15 minutes. A tooth pick inserted in center should come out clean. Let cake cool then loosen sides with a knife.
- (This recipe can be divided into two loaf pans, adjust the cooking time to 55 min to 1 hour. Be sure the center is done by checking with a toothpick.).
I tried this cake last weekend and it didn't work. It never set up during baking. I am an experienced baker and followed the recipe to the letter. I have never made a pound cake with 1 cup of milk or any other liquid in it. Maybe that ingredient is incorrect. I was very disappointed.