Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
The original recipe (Bon Appetit, March 1982) recommends not subsituting ground nutmeg for the fresh nutmeg in this recipe. Cook time includes refrigeration time and processing time.
- Scald milk and half-and-half in saucepan over low heat.
- and heat.
- DO NOT BOIL.
- Combine eggs with sugar in bowl and blend well with mixer.
- Whisk a small amount of hot milk into egg/sugar mixture.
- Transfer mixture to saucepan and cook over low heat for 5-8 minutes, stirring constantly until mixture is thick and custard consistency.
- DO NOT BOIL.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir condensed milk and nutmeg into mixture.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Stir heavy cream into mixture.
- Chill at least 2 hours (or time recommended by ice cream machine directions).
- Process according to ice cream machine directions.
it probably should be added that the nutmeg is very powerful. adding banana to this recipe will help for any side effects. also fresh cinnamon is great too. this recipe is similar to a style of herbal yoga recipes. great recipe!
Excellent, bar none. Be advised that the success of this recipe wholly depends on the quality of the nutmeg. I used a wonderfully intense, flowery nutmeg we purchased in Jamaica. I only used one and it was plenty. I also added a bit of vanilla. Note: It took about 15 minutes cooking on low to obtain a custard consistency (not the 5-8 as suggested). Be sure and watch it carefully -- if it gets too hot the egg will cook and become lumpy.