Prep 25 mins
Cook 4 hrs
To go with Banana Tarte Tatin. From Gourmet Traveler Nov 06. Cooking time is freezing time.
- 500 ml milk
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 125 g egg yolks, from 7-8 eggs
- 110 g caster sugar
- 125 ml pouring cream
- Bring the milk and nutmeg to a simmer in a pan, then remove from heat and let sit to infuse flavours for about half an hour.
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until thick and pale, then stir into the milk.
- Cook this custard over low heat, stirring all the while, till its thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Strain it into a bowl sitting in another bowl full of ice so that it cools very quickly.
- Stir in the cream, then put into machine and follow instructions from there.
- If you're not lucky enough to have a machine, put mixture into metal tins in the freezer and freeze till edges are firm. Whisk and mix it and put back in the freezer. Keep repeating this freezing and mixing until completely set. The more often you can bear to repeat this step (!) the smoother the ice cream will be as all the ice crystals are incorporated.