Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Found in an old cookie recipe booklet. I love nutmeg, so I can't wait to try this one!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg, separated
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons freshly grated nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 275. Grease a 10x15-inch jelly roll pan.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy; add egg yolk and beat well. Blend in flour and nutmeg.
- Turn into prepared pan, spreading evenly with fingertips. Brush top with beaten egg white.
- Bake until lightly browned, about 50 minutes. Cut into bars while still warm. Store in an air-tight container.
I cut out this recipe from the December 19,1978 Woman's Day Magazine. I seem to remember cutting the finished cookies on the diagonal, making triangle shapes. Whatever shape you cut them, they are delicious for all you nutmeg lovers.
A dense, rich shortbread with intense nutmeg flavor and a glossy golden crust. These are definitely a keeper!