Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This cake makes your house smell so wonderful! If you love it...don't forget to freeze some eggnog so you can make the cake even when eggnog is out of season!
- 1 1⁄4 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon rum (or 1/4 tsp extract mixed with 1 tbsp water)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups cake flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup eggnog
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 -2 tablespoon milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons rum or 1⁄8 teaspoon rum extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease and 8-10 cup bundt pan and sprinkle with flour. Tap pan to remove excess flour.
- In a large bowl, beat butter for 1 minute. Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks two at a time, beating after each addition. Add run adn vanilla and beat until incorporated.
- In another large bowl, whisk together the dry cake ingredients. Add flour mixture to creamed mixture alternately with egg nog just until blended. Do this in 3 parts, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Do not overbeat.
- Spoon batter into pan and level with spatula. Tap pan on the counter firmly to settle the batter.
- bake 45-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean and the edges start to pull away from the pan.
- Cool on a wire rack for 10-15 minutes. Invert onto wire rack and cool completely.
- For the glaze: in a small bowl whisk together all ingredients except almonds. Add milk as needed to obtain desired consistency. Drizzle over cake; sprinkle with almonds. Let stand until glaze is set.
- Can be made up to 1 day ahead.