Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is from my Grandma's recipe, but I have changed it over ther years. My family loves this for breakfast and it is a tradition on Christmas morning with hot cinnamons rolls.
- 11 eggs, slighly beaten
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 cups scalded milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- warm milk either in microwave or on stove top.
- combine eggs, salt, and sugar.
- add milk slowly stirring constantly.
- add vanilla.
- pour into heavy pyrex casserole dish (square deep ones work best) or custard cups.
- sprinkle with nutmeg & cinnamon.
- place in a cake pan 1/4 the way filled with water.
- bake at 350 for an hour or till knife comes out clean.
Yummy! We loved this quick and easy egg custard. I was looking for an egg custard recipe to use up an abundance of eggs that I have, due to my hens laying eggs like crazy. Most of the recipes I found used 3 or 4 eggs. Then I came across this recipe, and boy am I glad that I did. Not only does it use almost a dozen eggs, but it has that wonderful rich, eggy flavor that is reminiscent of the egg custard my grandmother made when I was a kid. The nutmeg adds a special touch to the custard. I've already made this recipe twice, and I know I'll be making it a lot. Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe...it is definitely a keeper!!