Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Per request from Lori, the Nutella Swirl Ring. Looks detailed but good!
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup nutella, warmed slightly (see instructions)
- 2 tablespoons water, for brushing
- cooking spray
- In large bowl, with electric mixer, stir 1/2 cup warm water, yeast, 2 TBSP sugar and 1/4 tsp salt.
- Add 1 cup flour and the butter; mix on medium speed for 4 minutes.
- Add remaining 2 cups flour; mix for an additional 2 minutes.
- Grease a large bowl with non stick spray or butter and place the dough on it, turning it once.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let stand for 1 hour in a warm place until it doubles in volume.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Line baking sheet w/ aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- When the dough has fully risen, punch it down and transfer to a floured surface.
- Roll the dough out to a 12x16 inch rectangle and spread evenly with the warmed Nutella, leaving a 1 inch band around the edge, bare.
- Beginning at the long end, tightly roll up the dough like a newspaper, forming a 16 inch long log.
- Brush the ends with a little water and bring them together to form a ring.
- Transfer ring to prepared baking sheet.
- Using a sharp knife, sprayed with non stick cooking spray, slice the ring into 12 individual buns- being sure not to cut all the way through so that the buns are still connected, allowing 1 inch between each slice.
- Gently separate them, so they rest against each other like dominoes.
- Brush the ring with 2 TBSP water and sprinkle with remaining 2 TBSP sugar.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes until golden brown.
- Let cool slightly before serving.
- ---To Warm Nutella---.
- In microwave, heat on high for 5 seconds in a microwavable bowl.
This was very tasty!! I didn't have any problems other then it didnt rise well for me. I think next time I will proof the yeast first then add the salt and flour. Great instructions!! My ring turned out to be more of an oval but it still tasted great!! Thanks for posting
This is a great flaky, tasty pastry! If you like Nutella you must try this recipe. A little work put well worth it. Thanks Ang11002 ; )
These had really good flavor and are very rich. I had trouble with mine rising though. I only got a very minimal rise the first time and the loaf was the same size coming out of the oven as it was when I put it in. I liked the nutella as a filling, but I think I'll try it as an alternative to cinnamon filling in a cinnamon roll recipe instead.