Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep1 hr 30 mins
Nice fall type cookie. The recipe is from Nutella's Sweet Seasons of Taste Cookbook. The recipe calls for Halloween type decorations but any cookie cutter design of your choice is fine. Turkeys and autumn leaves for example for Thanksgiving.
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup nutella
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar, sifted
- To make Nutella Spiced Sugar Cookies: In a medium bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugar with a hand mixer on high speed for 2 minutes.
- Add the egg and vanilla and beat for 1 minute.
- Stir in the remaining dry ingredients on low speed just until combined.
- divide the dough in half and flatten each piece slightly (about 1-inch thickness), cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Roll out each piece on wax paper to 1/8-inch thickness.
- Use cookie cutters to cut desired shapes.
- For Halloween bats, pumpkins, headstones and owls are appropriate shapes.
- Bake on on cookie sheet for 10 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- To Make the Glaze: Heat the Nutella, milk and confectioner's sugar in a small pot over low heat until combined and slightly warm.
- Spread each cookie with the glaze and decorate as desired with jimmies, sprinkles, mini chips, or halloween candy.
- Allow to set on a wire rack.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Theese cookies can be baked ahead of time and frozen, unglazed for up to 6 weeks if stored in an airtight container.