Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
From "Everyday Italian" on the Food Network.
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup nutella
- Heat milk and cream in saucepan.
- Add sugar and whisk together to dissolve sugar over low heat.
- Add yolks and rest of sugar and blend until yolks thicken (several minutes).
- Add vanilla.
- Add a little milk to egg mix and slowly beat.
- Add egg mix to milk.
- Simmer until it is thick custard, whisking from time to time.
- Add Nutella and keep stirring until blended well. Let cool.
- Process in ice cream maker!
This is a great recipe...as are ALL of Giada's IMHO. I think it's important to mention because it's not clear in the recipe, that you whip the egg yolks separately with the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar (til pale and creamy) and then slowly add 1/2 cup of the hot cream mixture to the egg yolks to temper them, and then add them back to the creamed mixture. This way you don't get scrambled eggs. A great recipe.
I added some finely crushed hazelnuts and a shot and a half of Frangelico before putting into the ice cream maker. Still getting rave reviews!!
Really creamy and delicious. I made this with peanut butter. We really like peanut butter ice cream but it is hard to find. This was of course better than store baught any day! Nice and dense and creamy! Thanks!