Recipe by Concrete Gardener
From "Everyday Italian" on the Food Network.
Top Review by Citruholic
This is a great recipe...as are ALL of Giada's IMHO. I think it's important to mention because it's not clear in the recipe, that you whip the egg yolks separately with the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar (til pale and creamy) and then slowly add 1/2 cup of the hot cream mixture to the egg yolks to temper them, and then add them back to the creamed mixture. This way you don't get scrambled eggs. A great recipe.
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup nutella
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat milk and cream in saucepan.
- Add sugar and whisk together to dissolve sugar over low heat.
- Add yolks and rest of sugar and blend until yolks thicken (several minutes).
- Add vanilla.
- Add a little milk to egg mix and slowly beat.
- Add egg mix to milk.
- Simmer until it is thick custard, whisking from time to time.
- Add Nutella and keep stirring until blended well. Let cool.
- Process in ice cream maker!