Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
This is my absolute favorite cake recipe of all time. Dark chocolate and nutella are incorporated into both the cake and batter, giving it a deep flavor and melt-in-your-mouth texture that will take your breath away. It will win over your heart and palate on the first bite.
nutella chocolate cake
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup nutella, room temp
- 1 1⁄2 ounces melted and cooled dark chocolate (Lindt 70% recommended)
- 2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups nutella, room temp
- 8 ounces dark chocolate (Lindt 70% recommended)
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- Nutella Chocolate Cake.
- Trace the bottoms of two 9" X 1 1/2" pans onto parchment paper. Cut out the outlines. Butter and flour both pans, knocking out excess flour. Place traced parchment paper onto pan bottoms.
- Cream butter and sugar gradually, creaming well after each addition. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Mix in melted and cooled chocolate and nutella.
- Sift cake flour with baking soda and salt. Add to creamed mixture alternately with milk and vanilla, beating well after each addition until smooth.
- Pour into two prepared 9" X 1 1/2" cake pans. Bake at 350 F for 30-35 minutes, or until a tester inserted near the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool in pans on a cooling rack for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of the pans, invert cakes onto rack and let cool completely.
- Nutella Buttercream.
- In a bowl beat the butter with an electric mixer at medium speed until light and creamy.
- Break the chocolate into squares and place in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave, stopping and stirring every 15 seconds, until melted. Do not allow the temperature to exceed 160°F Allow chocolate to cool until no longer warm to the touch.
- Mix the nutella into the melted and cooled chocolate with a spoon. Do not use an electric mixer and do not over-beat! This will keep the frosting dense and spreadable.
- Mix the nutella mixture into the butter using a spoon. Do not use an electric mixer and do not over-beat. The finished buttercream should be dark in color with a dense flavor. It will be somewhat soft and may need to be briefly chilled to firm up to frosting consistency.