Prep 30 mins
Cook 23 mins
I have become obsessed with baking cakes in jars. I have a ton of these size jars left over from the homemade baby food and so I have been looking for something to do with them - you can only have so much jam! This great recipe is from Whipper Berry Blog ** I edited her recipe based on a suggestion on her page to make the topping better. I guessed on how many this makes because it really depends on what size jars you use.
- 18 1⁄2 ounces vanilla cake mix
- 1⁄2 cup nutella
- 1 -2 banana
- 8 ounces Cool Whip
- 3 1⁄2 ounces instant banana pudding mix
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free half-and-half
- Banana Cream - Add half and half to a mixing bowl. Turn mixer on low and slowly add the dry pudding mix. Mix until it begins to thicken and then add in the cool whip folding until you reach the consistency you desire. Place in the refrigerator and chill for 30 minutes.
- Cake - Prepare cake according to package directions and bake either in a small jar or as a cupcake. Make sure to not fill either jar or cupcake liner to full. Bake at 350 degrees for 18-23 minutes.
- Once cake has cooled core a small section in the middle of the cake (you can use an apple corer to do the job). Make sure you only go about half way down. You will then pipe a small dab of Nutella into the hole in center of the cake. A small amount will do, Nutella is rich and you don’t want to totally over power the cake. Now at this point you can choose how you want to present the cake. You can slice some banana and added it to the top of the cake before topping it off with the cream…Or you can leave the bananas off if you are doing the basic cupcake. Pipe on the banana cream and garnish with a dollop of Nutella or with mini chocolate chips.