Recipe by Zurie
This delectable recipe is by Elinor Klivans, and comes from the March 1995 "Bon Appetit" magazine. I have not made it, but it sounds SO wonderful that I thought I'd post it, with due credit to the original cook. I wish I could post the photo too -- looks fantastic, and would make a wonderful birthday cake for anyone! It consists of 3 flavours of either ice cream or frozen yoghurt, layered with Nutella ... yum! Nutella freezes on the ice cream but will still be soft enough to cut through. It's a very easy recipe.
Top Review by rosie316
I cheated on this recipe more than I should admit. I used a box of Neapolitan Ice Cream and divided the layers with a sharp knife. It worked just as well. I followed the instructions for spreading the chocolate hazel nut spread on each layer (I used "JIF" Chocolate Hazelnut Spread... it's yummier than Nutella) and freezing between applications. What a great way to dress up plain ol' ice cream. We really enjoyed this and it was so simple to make. Thanks for posting this recipe. Made for Cook-a-thon for Zurie's DH. God bless :)
- 13 ounces nutella (1 jar chocolate-hazelnut spread)
- 2 pints chocolate chip ice cream, softened (or nut ice cream, or equivalent in frozen yoghurt)
- 2 pints strawberry ice cream, softened (or frozen yoghurt)
- 2 pints vanilla ice cream, softened (or frozen yoghurt)
- 1 cup hazelnuts, coarsely chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Save 3 tablespoons Nutella in a small pastry bag to use as topping.
- Wrap the outside of a 9" diameter springform cake tin with 2 3/4 inch high sides in foil.
- Spread the 1st ice cream/yoghurt evenly in bottom of pan.
- Use a small spoon, and drop half of the Nutella by teaspoonsful evenly over the ice cream layer. Do not try to spread it.
- Freeze until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Spread the 2nd ice cream evenly over the 1st layer, and again drop teaspoonsful of your remaining Nutella over this layer, and freeze again for 30 minutes.
- Then spread the vanilla ice cream on top. Use a spatula to smooth top evenly.
- Pipe the Nutella in the piping bag decoratively over the top. Freeze the cake until firm, 30 minutes or so.
- Then wrap the entire torte, tin and all, in plastic, and freeze at least 6 hrs or overnight. This cake can be made a week ahead, how wonderful!
- To serve, let it stand at room temperature for the outside to soften slightly. Remove the plastic and foil. Put on a cake plate. Use a knife to loosen the sides carefully, and release the springform pan.
- If you like, press the coarse hazelnut bits into the sides of the cake. Serve!