Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Delicious, sweet mini tarts that have the consistency of pecan pie, but made with walnuts.
- 1⁄2 lb butter, room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 cups flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups brown sugar (light or dark)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped walnuts
- Make shells by mixing the butter, cream cheese and flour until dough is formed. (You can either mix by hand or use a food processer). Roll dough into balls, approximately 1", and press into ungreased mini muffin tins. Be sure to bring dough up sides of each muffin cup or filling will stick to pan.
- Make filling by mixing the eggs, brown sugar, vanilla, and walnuts. Place 1 Tbs. of filling into each muffin cup.
- Bake at 375F for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes, then remove tarts and cool completely on wire rack. Dust with powered sugar before serving.
I can't believe I never rated & reviewed these!! These cookies (my Mom's recipe) have been a Christmas tradition in our family & extended family forever. Almost every year I misplace her recipe & when I do, this is my go to recipe. They're almost exactly the same (if not identical) & no one has ever been able to tell. That being said, these are OUTSTANDING & are ALWAYS the favorite (including mine) in the large assortment of holiday cookies. EVERYONE always makes a point of telling me these are their favorite out of the assorted cookie tins I give for Christmas. They are special too because no one ever knows what they are as they're not a common Xmas cookie (don't know why!) & they're so festive w/ the sifted sugar over the top which reminds me of snow! Not to mention how simple these are to make w/o a ton of crazy ingredients. The dough also freezes amazingly if you want to make it in advance. Ok I'm done gushing..thank you for the wonderful replacement recipe when I can't find mine!