Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A good cookie recipe found in a diabetic cookbook, a sort of Christmas biscotti that would be very good for Christmas.
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1⁄3 cup liquid sugar substitute, equal to 1/3 cup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond flavoring
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup almonds, chopped
- Cream sugar and margarine until light and fluffy.
- Add egg whites, sugar substitute, vanilla and almond flavoring and blend well.
- Add flour, baking powder and salt.
- Mix until well blended.
- Add almonds to dough.
- Turn out on lightly floured surface and form into a roll about 2 inches wide and 12 inches long.
- Flatten top of roll, making sure to keep it the same size.
- Place on sprayed cookie sheet.
- Bake 350° for 25 minutes.
- Remove roll from cookie sheet onto counter.
- As soon as roll cools enough to handle, slice into 24 slices 1/2 inch thick.
- Place slices on cookie sheet and make 5 minutes on each side.
- Cool on rack.