1 hr 25 mins
European holiday staple. Nearly all the slavic and hungarian people bake this for the holidays. In my catering and bakery I use this recipe which has come down through several generations. I have broken down the recipe which delivers four nutrolls. It may be doubled and filled with poppy seed, prune, cream cheese, etc. I have included only the Nut Filling which follows the dough directions.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 11. In small saucepan heat milk, add margarine, sugar and salt. Stir til melted. Add sour cream. Stir well.
- 22. Cool to nearly room temperature.
- 33. Mix the dry yeast and warm water and let proof about 10 minutes.
- 43. You may use a 14 cup food processor (OR knead by hand until dough comes off yours hands. and it is smooth).
- 54. If using a processor, place the 5 cups of flour in the bowl. Add the room temperature egg(s),
- 65. Add in the proofed yeast and the cooled milk mixture.
- 76. Process for about 2 minutes or until dough appears smooth and is pulled away from sides of bowl. If kneading, knead until smooth. Dough should not be heavy. If too heavy while kneading, add a little warm milk at a time.; nor should it be sticky.
- 87. Place in lightly oiled bowl, Turn once. Cover with damp cloth and let rise until when two fingers inserted in the dough retain the markings after 5 minutes.
- 98. Empty bowl on lightly floured surface. Divide evenly into 4 portions. Flatten out each portion and shape into a ball. Cover with cloth and plastic. Let rise about 1/2 hour to allow the gluten to relax.
- 109. Roll out each ball to approximately 12 x 15 inches. Fill to within 1/2" around with about 1 1/4 cup of your filling. Starting at the top (shorter side) roll up and pinch edges and ends.
- 1110. Place seam side down onto a 12 x 17 inch cookie sheet preferably lined with parchment paper or use a non-stick spray. Place rolls evenly spaced.
- 1211. Cover and let raise about 1 hour. Brush with egg wash evenly.
- 1312. Place in preheated 350 degree oven, middle rack. Bake 40-45 minutes or until nicely browned.
- 1413. Cool in pan.
- 1514. Remove rolls by holding end of the parchment and pulling off onto a flat surface doing so carefully.
- 16NUT FILLING:.
- 17In a large saucepot add 2 cups milk, 2 sticks margarine and 2 cups granulated sugar. Allow margarine to melt. Add 2 lbs. finely ground walnuts and the zest from one lemon. Mix well. If too thick to spread add a little more milk until the filling becomes easily spreadable. You may have some nut filling left over. It can be frozen or used when make filled cookies.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Nut Rolls (Kolachi/Kolacs/Beigli)
Serving Size: 1 (27 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 48
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 83.3
- Calories from Fat 24
- Total Fat 2.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 9.8 mg
- Sodium 100.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 1.9 g