1 hr 30 mins
Jim Tasker's Note:
This recipe has been handed down for 2 generations. It is great for thanksgiving, christmas and easter. This was my grandmothers recipe. You can also substitute nutfilling for prepared poppy seed filling, (SOLO)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup canned milk
- 1/2 ounce yeast (2-1/4 packets of active dry yeast)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 egg yolks (reserve egg whites for filling)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 lb butter (softened)
- 6 cups flour
- 1/2 pint sour cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1Mix nut filling ingredients until smooth. Use enough canned milk in nut filling so that mixture can be spread over dough. 1 teasp. of vanilla or approx 1 capful.
- 2Combine: 1/2 cup canned milk.
- 32 tblsp sugar.
- 4Mix and heat to 110- 115 degrees.
- 5Add: (2) 1/4 packets of active dry yeast.
- 6(Note: Heat milk to 110 to 115 degrees. No more than 115 degrees otherwise yeast will not activate).
- 7When yeast mixture has doubled in size.
- 8Add: 3 egg yolks (reserve egg whites for filling), 1 egg, 1 cup sour cream, 1 teaspoons salt, 1/2 lb butter softened and 3 tblsp. sugar.
- 9Gradually blend in the 6 cups of flour to mixture one at a time.
- 10Mix and cover for 30 minutes.
- 11Separate dough into 4 parts.
- 12Roll out 1/4" thick.
- 13Spread filling over entire surface of dough, roll from smallest end.
- 14Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and let rise for one (1) hour.
- 15Poke fork holes on top, 1/2" apart.
- 16Brush with beaten egg and water (mixed) and sprinkle with sugar.
- 17Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.
- 18I tried something a little different. I separated the dough into 10 sections and made 10 little loaves of nutroll. Then handed them out during the holidays. Made nice holiday gifts.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Nut Roll
Serving Size: 1 (2390 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2485.2
- Calories from Fat 1293
- Total Fat 143.7 g
- Saturated Fat 48.7 g
- Cholesterol 362.7 mg
- Sodium 1088.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 262.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.4 g
- Sugars 103.1 g
- Protein 51.2 g