Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe has been handed down for 2 generations. It is great for thanksgiving, christmas and easter. This was my grandmothers recipe. You can also substitute nutfilling for prepared poppy seed filling, (SOLO)
- 1⁄2 cup canned milk
- 1⁄2 ounce yeast (2-1/4 packets of active dry yeast)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 egg yolks (reserve egg whites for filling)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 lb butter (softened)
- 6 cups flour
- 1⁄2 pint sour cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 egg whites (stiffly beaten)
- 1 lb chopped walnuts
- 5 tablespoons canned milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- Mix nut filling ingredients until smooth. Use enough canned milk in nut filling so that mixture can be spread over dough. 1 teasp. of vanilla or approx 1 capful.
- Combine: 1/2 cup canned milk.
- 2 tblsp sugar.
- Mix and heat to 110- 115 degrees.
- Add: (2) 1/4 packets of active dry yeast.
- (Note: Heat milk to 110 to 115 degrees. No more than 115 degrees otherwise yeast will not activate).
- When yeast mixture has doubled in size.
- Add: 3 egg yolks (reserve egg whites for filling), 1 egg, 1 cup sour cream, 1 teaspoons salt, 1/2 lb butter softened and 3 tblsp. sugar.
- Gradually blend in the 6 cups of flour to mixture one at a time.
- Mix and cover for 30 minutes.
- Separate dough into 4 parts.
- Roll out 1/4" thick.
- Spread filling over entire surface of dough, roll from smallest end.
- Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and let rise for one (1) hour.
- Poke fork holes on top, 1/2" apart.
- Brush with beaten egg and water (mixed) and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.
- I tried something a little different. I separated the dough into 10 sections and made 10 little loaves of nutroll. Then handed them out during the holidays. Made nice holiday gifts.
This was easy. My Baba, who came here from Slovkia, used to make this when I was a little girl. My grandfather says it tastes just like hers.
This was a good recipe. very similar to the one my father from Slovak roots used to make us during the holidays. measured out all the ingredients the night before which sped up the time slightly. It is worth the effort and time to make these they are deliciousness.