2 hrs 5 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This is my favorite nut roll recipe, because it comes out great every time. I have included recipes for two different fillings (Pecan and Maple Walnut). Each of the filling recipes will make enough to fill 4 nut rolls. These are a nice treat for breakfast/brunch :) Prep time includes rising time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 -7 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup margarine or 1 cup butter
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- confectioner sugar frosting (optional)
Maple Walnut Filling
- 1Fillings: Pecan Filling: Melt 1 cup (2 sticks) magarine over low heat.
- 2Stir in 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 cup vanilla extract.
- 3Add 7 cups of ground pecans and blend well.
- 4Maple Walnut Filling: Melt 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) margarine over low heat.
- 5Stir in 1/2 cup sugar, 3 Tablespoons imitation maple flavor.
- 6Add 5 cups ground walnuts and blend well.
- 7Dough: In a large bowl, thoroughly mix 2 cups flour, sugar salt and undissolved yeast.
- 8In a sauce pan, combine sour cream, water and magarine.
- 9Heat over low heat until mixture is very warm (120°-130°F), margarine does not need to melt.
- 10Gradually add to dry ingredients and beat 2 minutes with electric mixer at medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally.
- 11Add eggs and 1 cup flour.
- 12Beat mixture at high speed for 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- 13Stir in enough additional flour to make a soft dough.
- 14Turn dough on to a lightly floured board; knead a few times to form a ball.
- 15Cover dough and let rest for 10 minutes.
- 16Divide dough into 4 equal pieces.
- 17Roll each piece into a 14x12 nch rectaangle.
- 18Spread each piece of dough with 1/4 of the nut filling.
- 19Roll each one up (from the long side), as for a jelly roll.
- 20Seal edges.
- 21Place rolls on greased baking sheets, sealed edges down.
- 22Cover and let rise in a warm, draft free place until doubled in bulk (about 1 hour).
- 23Bake rolls at 350°F for about 35 minutes, or until done.
- 24Remove from baking sheets, and cool on wire racks.
- 25When cool, drizzle tops of rolls with confectioner's sugar frosting (optional).
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Nut Roll
Serving Size: 1 (3342 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 4225.7
- Calories from Fat 3106
- Total Fat 345.1 g
- Saturated Fat 48.6 g
- Cholesterol 183.9 mg
- Sodium 2136.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 249.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 30.8 g
- Sugars 72.1 g
- Protein 61.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
imitation maple flavor