Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Since I have gone low carb I don't eat a lot of rice. But, like everyone else, now and again I crave things I shouldn't eat. This recipe makes just enough for two servings, one for me and one for my DH, which was perfect. I garnished my pudding with fresh organic strawberries, roasted nuts and fresh mint from my garden.
- 1⁄4 cup nuts (I used roasted almonds, but you can use whatever you like)
- 1 cup water (filtered)
- 1⁄2 cup rice (uncooked-I used Jasmine)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons agave nectar (or other sweetener to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon maple extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg (fresh ground please)
- 1 cup nut milk
- Preheat your oven to 350'F. I used my toaster oven. It works perfect for these small items. Roast for about 8 minutes, but keep an eye on them, they roast quite fast. Remove when done and cool on a heat proof dish or plate.
- In a medium saucepan bring the water and salt to a boil. Add the jasmine rice and stir for about 60 seconds. Cover with a tight fitting lid, turn down to simmer and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Once again this depends on your stove. The best way to tell if its ready is to check and see if all the liquid is absorbed. If it is, chances are its ready.
- If ready, add the vanilla and maple extracts, stir in, then add the nut milk and nutmeg and return to a simmer cook uncovered for about 8 minutes until the milk is absorbed into the rice. This should be thickened up as well.
- Stir occasionally so it doesn't stick. Add in the agave or whatever sweetener you choose and stir to combine.
- Remove from heat, cool slightly and spoon into dessert bowls. Garnish with you strawberries, nuts and mint if using.
- You should let these cool down in the fridge for several hours or over night for the best flavour to develop.
- Bon Appetit!