1/1 Photo of Nut Horns
14 hrs 20 mins
I have never posted a recipe I haven't tried before, but I was going through an envelope of old recipes -- clippings, cards, fading paper, you know the sort of things that collect in the back of drawers. I found this one on a water-spotted and yellow paper that's ready to crumble apart. I think it may have come from an aunt, but it may have been from a woman in the church I grew up in. I remember having them at Christmas. Since the paper is crumbling I figured I'd better post it to keep it safe. THE YIELD IS A GUESS. THE SIZES OF THE CANS WERE NOT SPECIFIED. I tried to come up with the standard, US can sizes. I'll edit both once I've made it and correct it. If anyone makes it before I do please tell me how many it made for you.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Scald milk. Cool to safe temperature for yeast.
- 2In a separate pot melt shortening.
- 3Beat eggs.
- 4Dissolve yeast in the warm milk. Add shortening and beaten eggs.
- 5Add flour 2 cups at a time. Knead dough.
- 6Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 7To prepare filling combine the first 5 ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- 8Add beaten eggs and cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- 9Heat oven to 375°F.
- 10Roll manageable portions of the dough very thin in powdered sugar. Cut in 3x3 squares.
- 11Place 1 tsp filling in one corner of a dough square. Roll up, starting at that corner, and seal edges.
- 12Place on greased cookie sheet. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- 13Bake 15-20 minutes (lightly browned?).
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Nut Horns
Serving Size: 1 (4575 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 195.8
- Calories from Fat 114
- Total Fat 12.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 26.8 mg
- Sodium 26.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 3.9 g