Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
From the Daily Telegraph's Weekend supplement (31/12/05, UK) As I discovered last Christmas, you *can't* put royal icing directly on to a Christmas cake because it goes all soggy! I haven't made this recipe yet as I only found it too late. You might be able to use something like vanilla-flavoured Angel Delight or some other mousse-y mix that you make up with a pint or so of milk if you can't get custard powder
- 5 ounces semolina
- 5 ounces icing sugar (sifted)
- 2 teaspoons custard powder (eg Birds)
- 1 egg white
- 2 teaspoons vanilla flavoring (etc) or 2 teaspoons orange flower water (etc)
- Mix the semolina with the icing sugar and custard powder.
- Lightly beat the egg white and mix into the dry ingredients along with the flavouring until you get a firm paste.
- Wrap in clingfilm to prevent it drying out until ready to use.