1/2 Photos of Nut Crusted Portobello Mushroom Strips
Thin strips of meaty portobello mushrooms with a crunchy nut coating, sauted in olive oil, become wonderfully satisfying! A great breakfast entree, or side dish, or snack! Adapted from Mollie Katzen's Sunlight Cafe(Breakfast All Day).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Remove and discard the mushroom stems(I put in freezer to make The End of All Things Vegetable Broth-The End of All Things Vegetable Broth) and wipe the caps clean with a damp paper towel. Cut them into long slices about 1/2 " thick and set aside.
- 2Place the nuts and cheese in a blender or food processor, and turn the machine on and off a few times until the nuts are ground to the consistency of cornmeal. Move the mixture to a plate, and stir in the salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Mix until thoroughly blended.
- 3Break the eggs into a shallow dish(such as a pie pan), and beat until smooth.
- 4Dip both sides of each mushroom strip in the beaten egg, then press the wet surfaces firmly into the nut mixture. Really push it in there, so a lot of the coating can stick to the mushrooms. Thick is good in this case! Move the coated mushrooms to another plate.
- 5Place a skillet or saute pan over medium heat and wait several minutes. Add a tbls. of the oil, and wait about 30 seconds, then swirl to coat the pan. When it is hot enough to sizzle a bread crumb, arrange the coated mushroom slices in the pan. They can be touching but should not overlap.
- 6Saute them about 5 minutes on each side, adding more oil if necessary. If some of the coating falls off, save and include it, it's delicious! When the mushrooms are golden all over, move to a wire rack over a tray to cool. This will retain their crispy texture.
- 7Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature, with a nice salsa on the side, if desired.
- 9Milk or soy milk can replace some of the beaten egg, or use egg substitute.
- 10You can prepare the coated mushroom slices in the evening and store them overnight in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator. Frying them in the morning will then take less than 15 minutes.
- 11Alternative cooking method: Instead of sauteing them, spread the coated mushroom slices on a foil lined baking tray brushed or sprayed lightly with olive oil, and bake in a preheated 425*F. oven for 12-15 minutes. Turn the mushrooms over halfway through the baking.
Browse Our Top Low In... Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low In... Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Nut Crusted Portobello Mushroom Strips
Serving Size: 1 (678 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 370.0
- Calories from Fat 275
- Total Fat 30.6 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 164.1 mg
- Sodium 415.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 16.8 g