Prep 2 hrs 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
Worth making. Once you did, it's not hard. Very light in taste. If you like nuts you will like this. Version of a very old recipe.
Top and Bottom Crust
- 2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 8 tablespoons canned milk (I prefer Milnot for thickness)
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups walnuts, finely ground
- If you like you can make the dough a day ahead.
- It is easier to work with.
- With a pastry blender, cut the butter into the flour.
- You want it to look like coarse meal.
- Cut in cream cheese.
- Flour your hands.
- Pour in milk a little at a time.
- Gentlely with your hand, mix the dough to form a ball.
- Don't over work the dough.
- At this point wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate about 1-2 hr.
- best overnight.
- Filling: In a small bowl, beat 1 c.
- sugar into the yolks.
- Beat until light yellow and stiff.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites until stiff.
- Slowly fold the yolk mixture into the whites.
- Mix the flour and walnuts together and gentley add to mixture.
- Try not to stir out all you egg whites.
- You want air to be left to keep this moist and light.
- Spray very lightly a 9x13" pan.
- Roll out 1/2 the dough.
- Put it in the bottom of the pan.
- Pour in your walnut mixture.
- Roll out the other half to fit over the top and fit closely around sides.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350* for 35-40 min.
- Until the top is a golden brown.
- When cooled cut into squares.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.