Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep2 hrs 30 mins
Worth making. Once you did, it's not hard. Very light in taste. If you like nuts you will like this. Version of a very old recipe.
- If you like you can make the dough a day ahead.
- It is easier to work with.
- With a pastry blender, cut the butter into the flour.
- You want it to look like coarse meal.
- Cut in cream cheese.
- Flour your hands.
- Pour in milk a little at a time.
- Gentlely with your hand, mix the dough to form a ball.
- Don't over work the dough.
- At this point wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate about 1-2 hr.
- best overnight.
- Filling: In a small bowl, beat 1 c.
- sugar into the yolks.
- Beat until light yellow and stiff.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites until stiff.
- Slowly fold the yolk mixture into the whites.
- Mix the flour and walnuts together and gentley add to mixture.
- Try not to stir out all you egg whites.
- You want air to be left to keep this moist and light.
- Spray very lightly a 9x13" pan.
- Roll out 1/2 the dough.
- Put it in the bottom of the pan.
- Pour in your walnut mixture.
- Roll out the other half to fit over the top and fit closely around sides.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350* for 35-40 min.
- Until the top is a golden brown.
- When cooled cut into squares.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.