Not your fathers peanut butter cookies! Pick your nut butter, our favorite is cashew butter, but almond and peanut butter work well too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (measured by dip & sweep)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar, preferably superfine
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold
- 1 cup smooth peanut butter (must be smooth!) or 1 cup smooth cashew butter (must be smooth!) or 1 cup smooth almond butter (must be smooth!)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 ounces milk chocolate
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate or 6 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F at least 15 minutes before baking time.
- 2•Food processor method:.
- 3Into a small bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt- whisk to mix evenly.
- 4Process the sugars for several minutes until very fine.
- 5Cut the butter into a few pieces and add it with the motor running.
- 6Add the peanut butter and process until smooth and creamy.
- 7Add the egg and vanilla extract and process until incorporated, scraping the sides of the bowl.
- 8Add the flour mixture and pulse in just until incorporated.
- 9•Electric mixer method or by hand:.
- 10Soften the butter to a cool room temperature.
- 11In a small bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- 12Whisk to combine.
- 13In a mixing bowl, beat the sugars until well mixed.
- 14Add the butter and peanut butter and beat for several minutes, until very smooth and creamy.
- 15Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat until incorporated, scraping the sides of the bowl.
- 16Gradually beat in the flour mixture just until incorporated.
- 17•Both methods:.
- 18Scrape the dough into a bowl and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or as long as overnight.
- 19Measure the dough into a 1 1/4-inch cookie scoop (2 level teaspoons) and roll it to shape 1-inch balls.
- 20Place the balls 1 1/2-inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- 21As soon as you roll each ball, use your index finger or the handle of a wooden spoon to make a depression going down almost to the cookie sheet in the center of each ball.
- 22Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned and set.
- 23For even baking, rotate the cookie sheet front to back halfway through baking.
- 24Cool the cookies on the sheets for a few minutes or until firm enough to lift.
- 25Use a small angled metal spatula to transfer the cookies to wire racks to cool completely.
- 26If necessary, while the cookies are still hot, use the greased handle of a wooden spoon to deepen the depressions.
- 27Fill the centers with milk chocolate toppings.
- 28While the cookies are baking, prepare the chocolate topping, melt the chocolates.
- 29Whisk in the softened butter.
- 30The mixture will thicken immediately.
- 31Do not over whisk.
- 32Use a reclosable quart-size freezer bag with one corner cut off to pipe the chocolate into the centers the cookies.
- 33Allow the chocolate to set until firm before storing the cookies in airtight containers.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Nut Butter Gems
Serving Size: 1 (28 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 40
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 124.8
- Calories from Fat 78
- Total Fat 8.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 16.9 mg
- Sodium 75.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 2.4 g