Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Not your fathers peanut butter cookies! Pick your nut butter, our favorite is cashew butter, but almond and peanut butter work well too.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (measured by dip & sweep)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar, preferably superfine
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cold
- 1 cup smooth peanut butter (must be smooth!) or 1 cup smooth cashew butter (must be smooth!) or 1 cup smooth almond butter (must be smooth!)
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 ounces milk chocolate
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate or 6 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 375°F at least 15 minutes before baking time.
- •Food processor method:.
- Into a small bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt- whisk to mix evenly.
- Process the sugars for several minutes until very fine.
- Cut the butter into a few pieces and add it with the motor running.
- Add the peanut butter and process until smooth and creamy.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and process until incorporated, scraping the sides of the bowl.
- Add the flour mixture and pulse in just until incorporated.
- •Electric mixer method or by hand:.
- Soften the butter to a cool room temperature.
- In a small bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Whisk to combine.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the sugars until well mixed.
- Add the butter and peanut butter and beat for several minutes, until very smooth and creamy.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat until incorporated, scraping the sides of the bowl.
- Gradually beat in the flour mixture just until incorporated.
- •Both methods:.
- Scrape the dough into a bowl and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or as long as overnight.
- Measure the dough into a 1 1/4-inch cookie scoop (2 level teaspoons) and roll it to shape 1-inch balls.
- Place the balls 1 1/2-inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- As soon as you roll each ball, use your index finger or the handle of a wooden spoon to make a depression going down almost to the cookie sheet in the center of each ball.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned and set.
- For even baking, rotate the cookie sheet front to back halfway through baking.
- Cool the cookies on the sheets for a few minutes or until firm enough to lift.
- Use a small angled metal spatula to transfer the cookies to wire racks to cool completely.
- If necessary, while the cookies are still hot, use the greased handle of a wooden spoon to deepen the depressions.
- Fill the centers with milk chocolate toppings.
- While the cookies are baking, prepare the chocolate topping, melt the chocolates.
- Whisk in the softened butter.
- The mixture will thicken immediately.
- Do not over whisk.
- Use a reclosable quart-size freezer bag with one corner cut off to pipe the chocolate into the centers the cookies.
- Allow the chocolate to set until firm before storing the cookies in airtight containers.