Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
This recipe was passed down from my grandmother.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 -3 cups shelled peanuts (or other coarsely chopped nuts)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- Butter the sides of a 3-quart sauce pan.
- Combine sugar, corn syrup, water, butter and salt.
- Cook and stir until sugar dissolves and mixture comes to boil.
- Cook and stir occasionally until it comes to soft crack stage (275°F) and syrup is a nice golden brown color.
- Add nuts and continue to cook, stirring often to 295°F and is a clear gold color.
- Remove from heat.
- Quickly add the baking soda.
- Immediately pour hot candy into 2 large buttered baking sheets.
- Use 2 forks to lift and pull candy as it cools to stretch it thin.
- Cool completely and break into pieces.