Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 1⁄2 cup peanut butter, toasted cashew butter or toasted almond butter
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 1⁄2 cups raw peanuts, cashews or unblanched almonds
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- Melt peanut butter in top of double boiler over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Let stand, stirring occasionally.
- Lightly grease 16X 14-inch baking sheet.
- Set aside.
- Blend baking soda and vanilla in small bowl until smooth.
- Combine sugar, corn syrup and water in saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly.
- Add nuts and butter.
- Return to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Boil until temperature registers 280°F on candy thermometer, stirring constantly.
- Remove saucepan from heat.
- Stir in peanut butter until well blended.
- Stir in vanilla mixture until well blended.
- Immediately pour mixture evenly over prepared baking sheet.
- Quickly roll out brittle with buttered rolling pin to as thin as possible.
- Cool completely on baking sheet.
- Break into pieces.
- Store tightly covered at room temperature up to 1 week.