Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
From Betty Crocker's Cookbook, New and Revised Edition - the antique one. Old family favorite, copied here in case my book falls apart completely!
- Heat oven to 350°.
- Grease bottom only of loaf pan, 9x5x3 inches, or 2 loaf pans, 8½x4½x2 ½ inches.
- Mix all ingredients; beat 30 seconds.
- Pour into pan(s).
- Bake until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 9-inch loaf 55 to 65 minutes, 8-inch loaves 55-60 minutes; cool slightly.
- Loosen sides of loaf from pan; remove from pan.
- Cool completely before slicing.
- To store, wrap and refrigerate no longer than 1 week.
- *If using self-rising flour, omit baking powder and salt.
- Apricot Nut Bread: Mix 1 cup finely cut-up dried apricots.
- Banana Nut Bread: Decrease milk to 1/3 cup and omit orange peel. Mix in 1 ¼ cup mashed bananas (1 to 3 medium). Bake 9-inch loaf 65 to 70 minutes.
- Cranberry-Cheese Nut Bread: Decrease nuts to 1/2 cup. Stir in 1 1/2 cups Cheddar cheese (about 6 ounces) and 1 cup cranberries, cut into halves. Bake 9-inch loaf 65 to 70 minutes.
- Date Nut Bread: Omit milk. Mix 1 1/2 cups boiling water and 1 1/2 cups cut-up dates; cool. Stir into the batter.
- Whole Wheat Raisin Bread: Substitute 2 3/4 cups whole wheat flour for the all-purpose flour and honey for the brown sugar. Mix in 1 cup raisins.
Thank you for posting this! I'm at my daughters with a freezer full of over ripe bananas and my 30 year old Betty Crocker cookbook is back at home. This one is a classic and an all time family favorite
This is the nut bread my grandmother always made while I was growing up in the 1950's. I loved it then and I love it now. She may have made the variations, but the one I remember is just the basic recipe. Thanks for the stroll down memory lane. Made for Spring 2013 PAC.
I am so happy that you added this recipe. The new Betty Crocker cookbook changed it to include buttermilk, which I never have on hand. And my antique cookbook is home in Washington. Thank you. This is a very adaptable recipe and I usually use it for banana bread.