Recipe by cassiesmydog
This is an interesting and addictive veggie burger. There is a little natural foods drive-in near where i live that serves something like this.I talked to a lady who at one time worked at the drive-in and she told me that they used the left over carrot pulp from making carrot juice in the burger. After years of trying to figure out the ingredients i came up with this, and it is pretty close. I hope you like it. Don't be put off by the long list of ingredients, it goes together quickly and freezes well uncooked. I have guessed at the prep and cooking time. I have not timed myself making this.
Top Review by Ginger N.
These tasted amazing! Better that I even imagined they would... and I was trying to copy the recipe from the natural foods drive in also! I am sticking with a 5 star rating even though they were a chore to make. The mixture was really difficult to blend in my food processor and just turned into a thick mass that wouldn't move. Next time I will take the advice of another poster and blend the veggies separate from the nuts and mix them together later. I omitted the sage, used less of the curry and poultry seasoning, more of the cumin, and added 1 Tbsp. of soy sauce. Used 1/4 cup whey powder instead of 1/2. Also, only used one egg (all that I had on hand). I turned mine into a "nutty taco" by crumbling up the "meat" as I cooked it, like I would have with ground beef... served it with melted cheese, salsa, tomato, lettuce and sprouts on a soft corn tortilla.
I can not thank you enough for this recipe. I am so happy I found it!
- 1 cup shelled raw walnuts
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1 cup shelled raw almonds
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup carrot, pulp (leftover after making carrot juice)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 -3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons minced sage
- 1⁄2 cup whey powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon mild chili powder
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil (for frying burgers)
Directions See How It's Made
- place walnuts, cashews, sunflower seeds, almonds, celery, carrot pulp, onion, garlic cloves, parsley, and sage in bowl of food processor and pulse until you have a medium fine meal consistancy.
- Do not pulse so long as to make nut butter.
- You want to have something to chew on.
- Dump the nut mixture into a mixing bowl and add the whey powder, eggs, dry mustard powder, curry powder, poultry seasoning, cumin,and mild chili powder.
- Mix the ingredients together until well incorporated.
- Form into 12 small patties or 6 large.
- Fry in a pan over medium heat until brown on each side.
- Serve as is or on buns with your favorite burger toppings.